“The clip circulating on social media does not reflect the whole situation … The twerking comment was used in contrast to the song I had prepared for her.”. I needed to show I could succeed in order for other women to be given the same opportunity in the future, and that would not have been the case had I reacted in the moment. When I was a young girl I had to deal with people calling me weird and strange because I spent so much time around boys playing football. I think the quicker we tell young girls who dream of playing professionally that they should believe in themselves, the more prepared they will be for the world of pro sport. The next generation of young girls who have a dream to play need this belief more than ever. Want an ad-free experience?Subscribe to Independent Premium. And if we are now deciding that the Ballon d’Or is about influence rather than goals, then a strong case could be made for Antoine Griezmann winning it. Please continue to respect all commenters and create constructive debates. However, before walking off the stage, the woman of honor agreed to dance briefly with the DJ to Frank Sinatra’s “Fly Me to the Moon” for a few seconds, NBC News reported. Presenter asks first woman to win Ballon d’Or award ‘can you twerk?’, You may not agree with our views, or other users’, but please respond to them respectfully, Swearing, personal abuse, racism, sexism, homophobia and other discriminatory or inciteful language is not acceptable, Do not impersonate other users or reveal private information about third parties, We reserve the right to delete inappropriate posts and ban offending users without notification. ^ „Ukens profiler: Ada og Andrine Hegerberg - fotball.no - Norges Fotbal…”. However, as the Norway international was leaving the stage, French DJ Solveig asked her if she could twerk, but the three-time women's Champions League winner abruptly said "no" before walking away. Independent Premium Comments can be posted by members of our membership scheme, Independent Premium. He also posted a picture of the pair shaking hands after the ceremony. Are you sure you want to mark this comment as inappropriate? I have to ask myself: have attitudes really changed over the past decade or so in regards to women’s football when we are talking about twerk requests at the 2018 Ballon d’Or? What’s for absolute certain is that Messi finishing fifth on the final list is unbelievable. Thankfully the answer is yes, they have. Yes, there have been other contenders in the past, and I’m sure a lot of people will say Andrés Iniesta deserved to win it at least once during his time at Barcelona. Please be respectful when making a comment and adhere to our Community Guidelines. Dovada bombă care îi face mari probleme: Arată că îți pasă (FOTO) Ada Hegerberg alături de Cristiano Ronaldo Ada Hegerberg are un salariu de peste 330.000 de euro la Lyon. And why are these guys laughing? “I was asked to prepare a song for each winner and would dance with each recipient after their award was presented,” he continued. Her words to young girls around the world to “please believe in yourself” gave me goose bumps, because this really is the key to the journey of success: the conversations with yourself to keep pushing and believing even when unexpected challenges come. Ada Hegerberg: Andy Murray hits out at 'unreal' sexism after Martin Solveig asks Ballon d'Or winner 'do you twerk?' Ada Hegerberg in action for Lyon against PSG last month. Ada Hegerberg scored a hat-trick in the first half of last season's Women's Champions League final. I have nothing against Modric – he has been a fantastic player for Real Madrid and was crucial to Croatia’s run to the World Cup final. I'd imagine something to do with football. "He came to me afterwards and was really sad that it went that way. 1. Following the backlash, Solveig apologized in a video on his Twitter account. She was born on 10 July 1995 in Molde, Norway. 2019. „Ada Hegerberg: first women’s Ballon d’Or marred as winner is asked to twerk”. Hegerberg declined, looking visibly uncomfortable, according to footage obtained by The Guardian. If you would like to opt out of browser push notifications, please refer to the following instructions specific to your device and browser: Soccer Star Ada Hegerberg Asked to 'Twerk' After Winning First-Ever Women's Ballon D'Or Award. “What kind of question is this? Modric alluded to that with his comments after the ceremony. What’s for sure is that Hegerberg was a deserving winner of the award. "I didn't really consider it as sexual harassment or anything in the moment. She started her career at local club Kolbotn in 2010 and whilst only 16-years-old became the clubs top goalscorer in 2011. Start your Independent Premium subscription today. Solveig was forced to apologise on Monday evening after he asked the winner of the women's award if she knew how to twerk, Find your bookmarks in your Independent Premium section, under my profile. The Guardian. Solveig confirmed that he spoke to Hegerberg after the ceremony. After she received the trophy, the event co-host, DJ Martin Solveig, asked her to twerk. "Why do women still have to up with that shit? Most importantly congratulations to Ada.". RELATED: Bill Belichick Shouts ‘Shut the F— Up!’ at Player — and Tom Brady Thinks It’s ‘Pretty Funny’. You'll get the latest updates on this topic in your browser notifications. Everybody probably remembers the incident involving Patrice Evra applauding me with surprise for knowing my football. Coyote Ugly Turns 20: Where Is the Cast Now? Create a commenting name to join the debate, There are no Independent Premium comments yet - be the first to add your thoughts, There are no comments yet - be the first to add your thoughts. It was also encouraging that Solveig’s actions were met with collective disgust, from men as well as women, showing that strides are being made when it comes to the respect of professional footballers, regardless of gender. As I have said, she is an inspirational figure who deserves all the global plaudits she has received. Nothing says a family vacation like an RV, Princess Diana died when Harry was just 12 years old, It's looked — and felt — like a whole different world as we've been social distancing and attempting to keep each other safe, See All the Celebs Taking RV Trips This Summer, The Sweetest Photos of Princes Harry with Diana, From Empty Streets to Virtual Weddings: What Life Has Looked Like During the Coronavirus Pandemic. The Norwegian’s powerful, inspiring speech gave me goose bumps and the award’s worthy winner dealt with Martin Solveig’s casual sexism magnificently, Thu 6 Dec 2018 15.00 GMT Part of me feels Luka Modric won purely because it had become predictable for Ronaldo and Messi to win all the time. It allows our most engaged readers to debate the big issues, share their own experiences, discuss real-world solutions, and more. It was a difficult moment but all I could do at the time, live on air, was focus on my job and do it to the best of my abilities. A simple “No” was enough to show her level of personal respect in that moment. "My point was: I don't invite women to twerk but dance on a Sinatra song. I was in a fortunate position – one of very few women given the opportunity to be part of a major broadcaster’s coverage of a major international tournament – and with that came responsibility. However I am not alone – that seems to be a regular theme when you speak to many of the great female professional footballers in the world about their journey to where they are now. What should've been undoubtedly the best moment of Ada Hegerberg's soccer career quickly devolved into an embarrassing blip. She is the record holder in terms of Champions League goals as well as a hugely important figure for Lyon in France. He spoke of the award not only being for himself but also the other players who could have won it during the years when Ronaldo and Messi shared it between themselves. Get push notifications with news, features and more. but the three-time women's Champions League winner abruptly said "no" before walking away. © 2020 Guardian News & Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. My reaction, rather than my capabilities as a pundit, would have become the story. Pristupljeno 3. I had to deal with casual sexism while working as a pundit for ITV during the World Cup in Russia. Introducing ... PEOPLE's Products Worth the Hype. 1. Last modified on Thu 6 Dec 2018 20.04 GMT. 2020. Ada Hegerberg Biography – Ada Hegerberg Wiki. The 23-year-old Norwegian athlete — who also plays for French club Lyon, which won the Women’s Champions League last season — was awarded the first-ever Women’s Ballon d’Or award Monday night in Paris. Are you sure you want to delete this comment? Hegerberg, on the other hand, didn’t acknowledge the gaffe on social media. Ada Hegerberg of Lyon celebrates scoring during the Womens Champions League final. What should’ve been the best moment of Ada Hegerberg’s soccer career so far quickly devolved into an embarrassing blip. This is disgusting, I’m so sorry for Ada Hegerberg,” commented a third. Luka Modric has had a fantastic year but part of me feels he was given the award purely because it had become predictable for Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi to win it all the time. Taking to Instagram Murray, who has been an outspoken advocate of feminism both in and outside the world of sport, said: "Another example of the ridiculous sexism that still exists in sport. The 23-year-old Lyon striker was announced as the first ever winner of the women's Ballon d'Or by former France international David Ginola and gave an empowering speech to encourage more girls to play football. In response, many people in the audience, mostly made up of men, looked shocked. However, I think it is important to highlight Hegerberg’s graceful but strong response to it. The winner of the men’s Ballon d’Or was a far more debatable choice in my opinion. I was just happy to do the dance and win the Ballon d'Or to be honest.". “WHAT A NIGHT,” she wrote, punctuating it with the star emoji. He posted a picture of the pair embracing and wrote: "I explained to AdaStolsmo the buzz and she told me she understood it was a joke. Accompanied by a video apologising further to Hegerberg, Solveig wrote on Twitter: "Sincere apologies to the one I may have offended. Ada Hegerberg full name Ada Martine Stolsmo Hegerberg, is a Norwegian professional footballer. Let’s face it, that is not the first and will definitely not be the last time a female footballer experiences casual sexism at the highest level of the game, so we should probably identify the best way to deal with it. What questions did they ask Mbappe and Modric? Our journalists will try to respond by joining the threads when they can to create a true meeting of independent Premium. “Shocking and find it odd some people find it funny. Photograph: David Ramos/Getty Images She has also won 66 caps and … 2020. I am keen to avoid giving any more attention to the ridiculous request made to Hegerberg by the French DJ Martin Solveig to twerk while collecting the most prestigious individual award in the history of women’s football. Pristupljeno 3. DJ Martin Solveig, co-host of the Ballon d'Or award ceremony, was forced to apologise on Monday evening after he asked the winner of the women's award, Hegerberg, if she knew how to twerk at the event in Paris. Their numbers, in terms of goals especially, are unmatched and have been for some time. Thankfully, though, the Twitterverse came to her rescue. Isn’t in the slightest. "People who have followed me for 20 years know how respectful I am especially with women.". He has played a crucial role in Atlético Madrid reaching Champions League and Europa League finals, not to mention France winning the World Cup. Fans of female soccer were none too pleased about the bizarre request. Tennis star Andy Murray has once again spoken out against the "ridiculous" and "unreal" level of sexism in top level sport in the wake of the Ada Hegerberg controversy. Want to bookmark your favourite articles and stories to read or reference later? Afterward, she simply shared a photo of herself beaming as she holds up her prize. Photograph: Franck Fife/AFP/Getty Images I had to deal with casual sexism while … “Sincere apologies to the one I may have offended,” he wrote alongside it. Due to the sheer scale of this comment community, we are not able to give each post the same level of attention, but we have preserved this area in the interests of open debate. Soccer Star Ada Hegerberg Asked to 'Twerk' After Winning First-Ever Women's Ballon D'Or Award this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. “This is the crap female athletes deal with on a daily basis around the world,” tweeted sportswriter Grant Wahl about the incident. That felt like a bit of a dig towards two of the greatest players of all time, and an unfair one at that. I've been involved in sport my whole life and the level of sexism is unreal". Watch the full sequence. Available for everyone, funded by readers. Which is why Ada Hegerberg’s speech at the Ballon d’Or ceremony on Monday was so powerful. Solveig was quick to apologise after his actions provoked furious criticism on social media. "Nevertheless my apologies to anyone who may have been offended. She has also been consistently vocal about equality and standards in the women’s game. Hegerberg exemplified the best way with her strong refusal to pander to any attempt to degrade the incredible achievement of winning the Ballon d’Or. After the event, Hegerberg said that she had accepted an apology from Solveig. “My point was: I don’t invite women to twerk but dance on a Sinatra song. Martin Solveig sparks controversy by asking women’s Ballon d’Or winner Ada Hegerberg 'if she can twerk', The 20 contenders for 2018 Sports Personality of the Year, Murray hits out at 'unreal' sexism after Hegerberg asked if she twerks. However, we have to be ready for the old attitudes to rear their ugly head now and again and prepare the next generation on how best to deal with it. 10. Watch the full sequence People who have followed me for 20 years know how respectful I am especially with women.”. ^ „Ada Hegerberg: Lyon striker breaks Women's Champions League goalscoring record”. You can also choose to be emailed when someone replies to your comment. Hegerberg no doubt felt a similar level of responsibility on Monday and she dealt with what happened magnificently. Definitely some inequality in football,” wrote another fan. Oh, and he has also scored one or two goals along the way. 30. The most insightful comments on all subjects will be published daily in dedicated articles. I didn't really think about it at the time to be honest. For all the good work of the players around them, such as Iniesta, it is they who have made the difference for their respective teams, so it’s only right they have picked up the major individual awards. In a follow-up statement, the “Hello” musician added, “I acknowledge that it was in poor taste and I am deeply sorry for my mistake,” before explaining that his reference to twerking was a joke. Because if it’s for standout heroes then Ronaldo and Messi have been more than worthy winners for many years. You can find our Community Guidelines in full here. It is not free of adversity and it is challenging having to justify your talent in what has been considered a man’s sport for centuries. But the same could also be said of Sergio Busquets, so the question has to be asked: is the Ballon d’Or for unsung heroes or standout heroes? "And to everyone who thinks people are overreacting and it was just a joke... it wasn't. It was strong and dignified, and sent a powerful message to all the girls and women watching the ceremony, namely that they do not have to accept such female objectification, especially in moments when they are deserving of praise. Text us for exclusive photos and videos, royal news, and way more. But I have to question the motives behind him being awarded this year’s Ballon d’Or. RELATED: Kerri Walsh Jennings Is ‘Laser-Focused’ on 2020 Olympics After Feeling ‘Dissatisfied’ in Rio. The existing Open Comments threads will continue to exist for those who do not subscribe to Independent Premium. 1/8 - Luka Modric (Ballon d'or 2018), Ada Hegerberg (Ballon d'or féminin 2018) et Kylian Mbappé (Trophée Kopa, recompensant le meilleur joueur de moins de 21 ans) à Paris le 03 décembre 2018

Ousmane Dembélé Retour, Passage Des Arts Décor, Jacob Elordi Et Zendaya, Le Coeur D'une Mere Est Un Abime, Restaurant La Plage De Monsieur Hulot, Lou Toutes Les étoiles, Parti Trop Tôt Chanson, Collection Magazine Nous Deux, Traboules Vieux Lyon, Terrence Howard Iron Man 2, Mandataire Auto, Vendée Tourisme, Buster Keaton Musique, Guinguette île De Souzay, Paroles Viens On S'aime Cikey, Pour Ou Contre La Dot, Georges Nivat, Psg Lyon En Direct Tv Gratuit, Technology News Websites, Photo Facebook Profil, Les Plus Beaux Villages De La Loire (42), Commentaire En Anglais Sur Facebook, Je Vole Paroles Sardou, Footballeur Célibataire 2020, Best Pc Games, Shy'm Couple Tanel, This Ain't Loving Traduction, Classical Guitar Fingerstyle Tab, Promo Champagne Heidsieck Carrefour, C25 Tcl, Maine Et-loire Habitat Trélazé, Le Mans Course 2020, Papicha Cinéma Paris, Tous Les Jours, Champagne France Marque, Mail Crr Angers, Tu Le C Paroles, Météo Montreuil 25 Jours, Cadeau Angevin, Office Depot Online, Ainsi Bas La Vida (traduction), 24h Du Mans 2021, Terrain La Fouillouse Saint-priest, Quartier La Boucle (clermont-ferrand), Verbes Irréguliers, Twisted Tale Renouveau, Si T'étais La Louane Ukulele, Frac Alsace, La Une Des Magazines Peoples, Hotel Angers Pas Cher Centre-ville, Météo Bavière Füssen, Les Confinis Perret, Mairie Saint-priest 07, Prix M2 Lyon Par Arrondissement, Visite Vieux-lyon En Famille, Denis Brogniart - Ah, Les Experts Twitter, Moto Occasion 50cc, Martinique Tourisme Coronavirus, Piste Cyclable Bord De Mer Loire-atlantique, Meyzieu Jonage Lyon, Skyrock Radio, Angelina Maman Me Dit Paroles, Narbonne Plage Marché,