In Roman times, the quarter had military and commercial activities: remains of huts which served as warehouses for traders and Gallo-Roman boatmen, called Canabae, have been found in this area.[2]. [1] Another statue, representing the Petit Prince and Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, is at the west end of the square. It is a focus of the city's shopping streets: four major streets (two of them pedestrianised) start here: the Rue de la République, leading to the Hôtel de Ville and the Opera Nouvel; the Rue Victor-Hugoand the Rue du Plat both lead to Perrache; and the Rue du Président Édouard Herriot, with a concentration of luxury shops a… Today, it doesn’t seem like much, except for an expanse of Mars-red pavement, a statue of Louis XIV in the middle, a tourist office, and a Ferris wheel for kids and adults who haven’t quite grown up. It was only under the French Third Republic that the square took its current name: Place Bellecour. So 2 advices: WATCH OUT FOR THE (NORTH)AFRICAN PICKPOCKETS AND DO NOT COUNT ON THE USELESS POLICE IN LYON (later friends of mine told me they had similar experience. If you book with Tripadvisor, you can cancel up to 24 hours before your tour starts for a full refund. Place Bellecour is the kilometer 0 of Lyon: all distances are counted from this point. It’s really snazzy in winter though – a 60-metre high Ferris wheel and an ice rink are installed and for that while, this is the city’s favorite place. more, Browse our largest collection of experiences, Explore on your feet—and never miss anything, All ashore for easy trips straight from port, Office of Tourism and Congress of Metropolis of Lyon. Visited this lovely square in Lyon in July 2019. The square's claim to fame is a statue of Louis XIV of Lemot. For the last part of the tour we will cross over to the modern city center and visit some highlights like the Theatre des Celestins and the Hôtel Dieu.

Tips are greatly appreciated. There are some trees around the. to the location (about 1,5 miles away so to far to walk). Every Friday night, the square is the starting point of a roller ride, This page was last edited on 30 December 2019, at 12:54. What's the best way to see Place Bellecour? We recommend booking Place Bellecour tours ahead of time to secure your spot. 10:00 am/English | On this guided walking tour of Vieux Lyon, you will discover this amazing neighborhood with Paul, your guide. without any patches of greenery or trees) in Europe, and the third biggest square in France, behind the Place des Quinconces in Bordeaux (126,000 m²) and the Place de la Concorde in Paris (86,400 m²). square, but the rest of it is just dirt or sand on the ground. Rome2rio is a door-to-door travel information and booking engine, helping you get to and from any location in the world. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. It is a huge open public space which is not really very interesting at first sight. Litteraly just a big place..and a statue in the middle ...just go through it 5minutes max ;) It is a big artery though you can rejoin many places from there, certainly not the most romantic square in the city, but beautiful and especially very grand to say the least. The square changed its name and became the Place de la Fédération. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. There is a branch of the Tourist Office and some other interesting sights. more, Browse our largest collection of experiences, Explore on your feet—and never miss anything, All ashore for easy trips straight from port, Office of Tourism and Congress of Metropolis of Lyon. It’s Lyons favorite demonstration and protest spot. It hosts the Lyon tourist office and the central post office. There is a branch of the Tourist Office and some other interesting sights. They just joked about how it would turn up in Africa. Visited this lovely square in Lyon in July 2019. Lyon Police are UTTERLY USELESS. Police in Lyon is totally useless. You can find Place Bellecour right in between the Saône and Rhône Rivers. Visited this lovely square in Lyon in July 2019. Book your tickets online for Place Bellecour, Lyon: See 2,289 reviews, articles, and 1,121 photos of Place Bellecour, ranked No.35 on Tripadvisor among 260 attractions in Lyon. more, Browse our largest collection of experiences, Explore on your feet—and never miss anything, All ashore for easy trips straight from port, Office of Tourism and Congress of Metropolis of Lyon. If you are walking or driving along either river, you will want to turn onto Rue Antoine de Saint-Exupéry or Place Antonin Poncet to find the Place Bellecour. Email customer support at support@placepass.com or call us at 617-945-9145. There are some trees around the. Abandoned, the area became swampy. According to Tripadvisor travellers, these are the best ways to experience Place Bellecour: Lyon Hop-On Hop-Off Tour with Audio Commentary (From US$18.04) Northern Rhône Valley Day Tour with Wine Tasting from Lyon (From US$155.18) Secret Food Tours Lyon w/ Private Tour Option (From US$286.30) Discover Lyon in an Unusual Way (From US$30.07) According to Tripadvisor travelers, these are the best ways to experience Place Bellecour: What restaurants are near Place Bellecour? You can often find many of Lyon’s festivals and events here. Worth walking through it to get to other places. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Museums are located off the streets surrounding the plaza. Usually public spaces such as this would have some nice trees and flowers and some landscaped gardens perhaps. Measuring 312 m by 200 m (62,000 m² or 15 acres),[1] it is one of the largest open squares (i.e. Student or trade union demonstrations often pass through. According to Tripadvisor travellers, these are the best ways to experience Place Bellecour: What restaurants are near Place Bellecour? more. Hotels near Musee du Cinema et de la Miniature, Hotels near Theatres Romains de Fourviere, Hotels near Cathedral Saint Jean Baptiste, LyonExplorer Free Walking Tour & Private Guide, Ecole de Cuisine Gourmets by Institut Paul Bocuse, Basilique Notre Dame de Fourviere Tickets, Office of Tourism and Congress of Metropolis of Lyon Tickets, Flexible itineraries and personal experiences, Sample the local scene with in-the-know guides, Find an experience for the right time of year, See all 27 Place Bellecour tours on Tripadvisor, Lyon Hop-On Hop-Off Tour with Audio Commentary, Northern Rhône Valley Day Tour with Wine Tasting from Lyon, Secret Food Tours Lyon w/ Private Tour Option, Lyon Electric Bike Tour including Food Tasting with a Local Guide, See all Place Bellecour experiences on Tripadvisor, Hotel Le Royal Lyon - MGallery Collection, View all hotels near Place Bellecour on Tripadvisor, View all restaurants near Place Bellecour on Tripadvisor, View all attractions near Place Bellecour on Tripadvisor. Back in the day, however, the square itself held much more significance: it was the sight of royal parades for the king and executions via the guillotine during the French Revolution. Yes, Place Bellecour is kid-friendly. What attractions are near Place Bellecour? Elle est souvent présentée rectangulaire mais c'est une place trapézoïdale avec une taille de 300 mètres par 220 / 1… In the center of the square, there is an equestrian statue of Louis XIV by François-Frédéric Lemot. Besides the historic statues and buildings that litter the square, there is plenty to do at Place Bellecour. The base came from a village in the Beaujolais: Le Perréon. We will visit many hidden passageways (the Traboules) and secret courtyards, that are sometimes hard to find on your own. Also there are plenty of cafes and restaurants in the vicinity.

At the heart of Lyon is Bellecour Square—more commonly known as Place Bellecour—an enormous, unbroken brick expanse (the third largest square in France) sprawled between the Saône and the Rhône Rivers. Our guides spend many hours of personal time increasing their knowledge to provide you with the best experience possible. It is a huge open public space which is not really very interesting at first sight. Not this one. It is a focus of the city's shopping streets: four major streets (two of them pedestrianised) start here: the Rue de la République, leading to the Hôtel de Ville and the Opera Nouvel; the Rue Victor-Hugo and the Rue du Plat both lead to Perrache; and the Rue du Président Édouard Herriot, with a concentration of luxury shops and leading to the Place des Terreaux. Visited this lovely square in Lyon in July 2019. We will visit many hidden passageways (the Traboules) and secret courtyards, that are sometimes hard to find on your own. Museums are located off the streets surrounding the plaza. There are some trees around the. Points of Interest & Landmarks, Churches & Cathedrals, Architectural Buildings. Sometimes there are concerts or a book fair. WATCH OUT FOR PICKPOCKETS AND TOTALLY USELESS POLICE, There is a (north)African gang that pickpockets. According to Tripadvisor travelers, these are the best ways to experience Place Bellecour: Lyon Hop-On Hop-Off Tour with Audio Commentary (From $17.89) Northern Rhône Valley Day Tour with Wine Tasting from Lyon (From $153.82) Secret Food Tours Lyon w/ Private Tour Option (From $283.79) Discover Lyon in an Unusual Way (From $29.81) We will visit many hidden passageways (the Traboules) and secret courtyards, that are sometimes hard to find on your own. Worth walking through it to get to other places. Easily accessed by the metro. There are a couple of large statues, one of which is that of a king. There is a branch of the Tourist Office and some other interesting sights. Lots of shops and restaurants. So 2 advices: WATCH OUT FOR THE (NORTH)AFRICAN PICKPOCKETS AND DO NOT COUNT ON THE USELESS POLICE IN LYON (later friends of mine told me they had similar experience. It's a massive ground surrounded by shopping areas and residential districts. 10:00 am/English | On this guided walking tour of Vieux Lyon, you will discover this amazing neighborhood with Paul, your guide. There is a branch of the Tourist Office and some other interesting sights. It was transported to Lyon in twelve days on a coupling drawn by twenty-four horses. 88 reviews of Place Bellecour "When you are in Lyon you will end up here at some point. the peninsula) in Lyon France. Named Place Louis-le-Grand, it was adorned with a bronze statue of the king made by Martin Desjardins. Easily accessed by the metro. WATCH OUT FOR PICKPOCKETS AND TOTALLY USELESS POLICE, There is a (north)African gang that pickpockets. Tips not only help financially but also let the guide know he or she is doing a great job.
Typical tip range has been e5-10 per person. For the last part of the tour we will cross over to the modern city center and visit some highlights like the Theatre des Celestins and the Hôtel Dieu.

Tips are greatly appreciated. There are a couple of large statues, one of which is that of a king. Click here to learn more or control your settings. The Lyon Tourist Bureau is located in the square. Museums are located off the streets surrounding the plaza. If you book with Tripadvisor, you can cancel up to 24 hours before your tour starts for a full refund. © Copyright 2020, PlacePass. The Presqu'ile Entre La Saône et Le Rhône, 69002 Lyon France, Place Bellecour is a vast square. During the Gallo-Roman era, the quarter of Bellecour was an alluvial island. Tips not only help financially but also let the guide know he or she is doing a great job.
Typical tip range has been e5-10 per person. Also there are plenty of cafes and restaurants in the vicinity. Inspired by French bakery and bistro culture, Bellecour Bakery is named after the bustling town center of Place Bellecour in Lyon, France. And indeed 3 days later, "find my i-phone:" on my laptop showed it was in Algeria. Easily accessed by the metro. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. They just joked about how it would turn up in Africa. My phone was stolen and even though I could show the police where it was (because had shared my live location with my friedn who I was meeting, and the thief had not yet turned off my stolen phone) The police REFUSED to go with me. The square also has two pavilions, housing the tourist information office of Lyon and an art gallery. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. La Place Bellecour is a large square in the centre of Lyon, France, to the north of the Ainay district. My phone was stolen and even though I could show the police where it was (because had shared my live location with my friedn who I was meeting, and the thief had not yet turned off my stolen phone) The police REFUSED to go with me. With everything from fresh local produce to designer fashion, you'll be in a shopper's paradise when you visit this beautiful French city. In 1715, it became the Place Royale. square, but the rest of it is just dirt or sand on the ground. The Vieux Lyon district and the Lyon Cathedral face the square over the river Saône, and high up is Fourvière, looking down on us all.. The square is part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site. We recommend Parking Indigo on Place Bellecour Street, which is very close to Place Bellecour. Usually public spaces such as this would have some nice trees and flowers and some landscaped gardens perhaps. The Presqu'ile Entre La Saône et Le Rhône, 69002 Lyon France, Place Bellecour is a vast square. Place Bellecour Lyon shopping avenues are well known all over. We recommend booking Place Bellecour tours ahead of time to secure your spot. And indeed 3 days later, "find my i-phone:" on my laptop showed it was in Algeria. It’s within maybe a 20 minute walk from the river and the start of Vieux Lyon. Easily accessed by the metro. The entrance of the statue into the city was a festive occasion that attracted a big audience. It hosts the Lyon tourist office and the central post office. The square was renamed Place Bonaparte, later Place Napoléon. The square's metro station, also called Bellecour, is the intersection of lines A and D. The square is also served by many buses, including 10, 14 and 88. Do you need to book in advance to visit Place Bellecour? And indeed 3 days later, "find my i-phone:" on my laptop showed it was in Algeria. Today, it doesn’t seem like much, except for an expanse of Mars-red pavement, a statue of Louis XIV in the middle, a tourist office, and a Ferris wheel for kids and adults who haven’t quite grown up. It’s Lyons favorite demonstration and protest spot. In the late 12th century, the archbishop of Lyon had a vineyard there called Bella curtis (Beau jardin in French). Book your tickets online for Place Bellecour, Lyon: See 2,288 reviews, articles, and 1,121 photos of Place Bellecour, ranked No.35 on Tripadvisor among 259 attractions in Lyon. What's the best way to see Place Bellecour? There are some trees around the. Place Bellecour (Bellecour Square) is the massive city square located on Presqu'ile (i.e. Our guides spend many hours of personal time increasing their knowledge to provide you with the best experience possible. Usually public spaces such as this would have some nice trees and flowers and some landscaped gardens perhaps. Do you need to book in advance to visit Place Bellecour? There is even a playground for children to enjoy. In 1562, François de Beaumont, baron des Adrets attacked Lyon, installed his soldiers on the "Pré de Belle-cour".[3]. If it’s summertime, you might find it too hot to linger in the outdoor market for very long. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Place Bellecour Lyon shopping avenues are well known all over. All rights reserved. Our guides spend many hours of personal time increasing their knowledge to provide you with the best experience possible. Lyon Police are UTTERLY USELESS. My phone was stolen and even though I could show the police where it was (because had shared my live location with my friedn who I was meeting, and the thief had not yet turned off my stolen phone) The police REFUSED to go with me. We will explain the history and culture of Lyon, talking about a lot of things, like the Bouchon (local restaurants), the history of Silk production in Lyon, Klaus Barbie and the French resistance during the Second World War, Paul Bocuse and food culture and Renaissance in Lyon. Police in Lyon is totally useless. Make sure to grab a coffee or a bite to eat and watch the busy world pass by from one of the chic cafes. La place Bellecour est la plus grande place de la ville de Lyon (62 000 m2) et la cinquième plus grande place de France, après la place des Quinconces à Bordeaux (126 000 m2), la place de la Concorde à Paris (86 400 m2), le Cours Léopold et place Carnot à Nancy (76 400 m2) et la place de lhôtel de ville au Havre (70 000 m2). What's the best way to see Place Bellecour? Book your tickets online for Place Bellecour, Lyon: See 2,289 reviews, articles, and 1,121 photos of Place Bellecour, ranked No.35 on Tripadvisor among 260 attractions in Lyon. Points of Interest & Landmarks, Churches & Cathedrals, Architectural Buildings. Although the square isn’t too spectacular in the daytime, give it another try in the evening when the Ferris wheel lights up in a display of vibrant colors. During the Bourbon Restoration, in 1825, a new statue of Louis XIV was erected. In 1825, the current statue, sculpted in Paris by François-Frédéric Lemot, was installed in the square. So 2 advices: WATCH OUT FOR THE (NORTH)AFRICAN PICKPOCKETS AND DO NOT COUNT ON THE USELESS POLICE IN LYON (later friends of mine told me they had similar experience. This square forms the central focus of the Presqu'île (peninsula), between the Saône and the Rhône, in the 2nd arrondissement of Lyon. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. The royal statue was destroyed in 1793, and the square was then named Place de l'Égalité. It borrows inspiration from the storied gastronomical capital of the Western world—a place rooted in Chef/Owner Gavin Kaysen’s lifelong love of cooking. Check online to find an event during the time of your visit. Not this one. It’s within maybe a 20 minute walk from the river and the start of Vieux Lyon. It’s really snazzy in winter though – a 60-metre high Ferris wheel and an ice rink are installed and for that while, this is the city’s favorite place. Also there are plenty of cafes and restaurants in the vicinity. Our guides spend many hours of personal time increasing their knowledge to provide you with the best experience possible. Place Bellecour holds the title of the largest square in Lyon and the largest pedestrian square in all of Europe. And indeed 3 days later, "find my i-phone:" on my laptop showed it was in Algeria. Do you need to book in advance to visit Place Bellecour? It was erected in 2000 for the centenary of the aviator's birth. Browse our largest collection of experiences, Explore on your feet—and never miss anything, All ashore for easy trips straight from port, Office of Tourism and Congress of Metropolis of Lyon. Worth walking through it to get to other places. Book your tickets online for Place Bellecour, Lyon: See 2,289 reviews, articles, and 1,121 photos of Place Bellecour, ranked No.35 on Tripadvisor among 260 attractions in Lyon. We will explain the history and culture of Lyon, talking about a lot of things, like the Bouchon (local restaurants), the history of Silk production in Lyon, Klaus Barbie and the French resistance during the Second World War, Paul Bocuse and food culture and Renaissance in Lyon. We will visit many hidden passageways (the Traboules) and secret courtyards, that are sometimes hard to find on your own. It is a huge open public space which is not really very interesting at first sight. The Lyon Tourist Bureau is located in the square. Usually public spaces such as this would have some nice trees and flowers and some landscaped gardens perhaps. Finally, ride the Ferris wheel for some spectacular views of one of the largest open squares in Europe. In the middle is an equestrian statue of king Louis XIV by François-Frédéric Lemot (1825). WATCH OUT FOR PICKPOCKETS AND TOTALLY USELESS POLICE, There is a (north)African gang that pickpockets. Litteraly just a big place..and a statue in the middle ...just go through it 5minutes max ;) It is a big artery though you can rejoin many places from there, certainly not the most romantic square in the city, but beautiful and especially very grand to say the least. The square's claim to fame is a statue of Louis XIV of Lemot. It’s within maybe a 20 minute walk from the river and the start of Vieux Lyon. They just joked about how it would turn up in Africa. If you book with Tripadvisor, you can cancel up to 24 hours before your tour starts for a full refund. Throughout the year, a number of events take place on Place Bellecour : Coordinates: 45°45′27″N 4°49′56″E / 45.75750°N 4.83222°E / 45.75750; 4.83222, For the French actor known as "Bellecour", see, History of the equestrian statue of Louis XIV, Antoine de Saint Exupéry Airport, Argentina, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Place_Bellecour&oldid=933184692, Wikipedia articles needing clarification from February 2014, Articles with French-language sources (fr), Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. There are a couple of large statues, one of which is that of a king. So 2 advices: WATCH OUT FOR THE (NORTH)AFRICAN PICKPOCKETS AND DO NOT COUNT ON THE USELESS POLICE IN LYON (later friends of mine told me they had similar experience. Lots of shops and restaurants. Police in Lyon is totally useless. Sometimes there are concerts or a book fair. Many festivals and city events take place in the square each year. Do you need to book in advance to visit Place Bellecour? Lyon Police are UTTERLY USELESS. They just joked about how it would turn up in Africa. What attractions are near Place Bellecour? Lyon Police are UTTERLY USELESS. Hotels near Theatres Romains de Fourviere, Hotels near Cathedral Saint Jean Baptiste, Hotels near (LYS) Lyon–Saint Exupéry Airport, LyonExplorer Free Walking Tour & Private Guide, Ecole de Cuisine Gourmets by Institut Paul Bocuse, Flexible itineraries and personal experiences, Sample the local scene with in-the-know guides, Find an experience for the right time of year, See all 27 Place Bellecour tours on Tripadvisor, Lyon Hop-On Hop-Off Tour with Audio Commentary, Northern Rhône Valley Day Tour with Wine Tasting from Lyon, Secret Food Tours Lyon w/ Private Tour Option, Lyon Electric Bike Tour including Food Tasting with a Local Guide, See all Place Bellecour experiences on Tripadvisor, Hotel Le Royal Lyon - MGallery Collection, View all hotels near Place Bellecour on Tripadvisor, View all restaurants near Place Bellecour on Tripadvisor, View all attractions near Place Bellecour on Tripadvisor. Hotels with Complimentary Breakfast in Lyon, Hotels near Theatres Romains de Fourviere, Hotels near Cathedral Saint Jean Baptiste, Hotels near (LYS) Lyon–Saint Exupéry Airport, LyonExplorer Free Walking Tour & Private Guide, Ecole de Cuisine Gourmets by Institut Paul Bocuse, Flexible itineraries and personal experiences, Sample the local scene with in-the-know guides, Find an experience for the right time of year, See all 27 Place Bellecour tours on Tripadvisor, Lyon Hop-On Hop-Off Tour with Audio Commentary, Northern Rhône Valley Day Tour with Wine Tasting from Lyon, Secret Food Tours Lyon w/ Private Tour Option, Lyon Electric Bike Tour including Food Tasting with a Local Guide, See all Place Bellecour experiences on Tripadvisor, Hotel Le Royal Lyon - MGallery Collection, View all hotels near Place Bellecour on Tripadvisor, View all restaurants near Place Bellecour on Tripadvisor, View all attractions near Place Bellecour on Tripadvisor. It is also the largest pedestrian square in Europe:[1] vehicles are allowed in Places de la Concorde and des Quinconces. Otherwise, you can easily spend a whole afternoon window shopping and sampling restaurants here. Points of Interest & Landmarks, Churches & Cathedrals, Architectural Buildings. For the last part of the tour we will cross over to the modern city center and visit some highlights like the Theatre des Celestins and the Hôtel Dieu.

Tips are greatly appreciated. By clicking on or navigating the site, you agree to our use of cookies. What's the best way to see Place Bellecour?

Le Lapin Blanc Info, Office De Tourisme Nancy Recrutement, Jan Vancoillie, Jérôme Moroge, Aladdin Je Suis Ton Meilleur Ami Paroles, Quartier Gare Clermont-ferrand, Recitation A Ma Mère Pdf, Carte Pluviométrie France 2020, Quelqu'un M'a Dit Auteur Compositeur, Navette Château D'if, Bruises Karaoke, Oublie-moi Vianney, Akim Un Si Grand Soleil, Parc Attraction Maine Et Loire, Visiter La Doutre Angers, Pantalon De Sport - Codycross, Troupe De Théâtre Angers, Ma Tv En Direct, Sexto Emoji, Guinguette Bord De Loire, Hermel Twitter, Easy Piano, Rob Hopkins Villes En Transition, Quartiers Angers, Impossible Film Streaming Vf, Prévision Circulation Lyon, Moyenne D'age Paris, Délai Passeport Loire-atlantique, Plan Tour La Défense, Le Grand Bain Justwatch, Saint-genis-les-ollières Maison à Vendre, Camping Montreuil-bellay, Grenoble Département, Partition Mistral Gagnant Avec Nom Des Notes, Bron Streaming, Randonnée Pédestre Turquant, Replay Telestar, Angers Ville étudiante, Mohamed Koukam, Replay Bfm Tv Ramadan, Confinement En Langue Des Signes, Femme, Femme Chanson, Les Tâches D'une Maman, Bus Angers Brissac, Champagne Ruinart Rosé Pas Cher, Ma Maman Anthony Browne Pdf, Groupe Le Monde L'obs, Chope 4 Lettres,